Julian Cope's long-awaited follow up to The Modern Antiquarian, his bestselling and critically acclaimed guide to ancient Britain. The Megalithic European takes us on a breathtaking journey around prehistoric Europe's first temples.
• The Megalithic European is a monumental colour guide to the standing stones and ancient temples of prehistoric Europe.
• In a 6-year personal odyssey (leaving no stone unturned) Julian Cope covers 300 of the important sites of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean.
• The book looks further, revealing several thousand years of information which scholars have previously ignored, to the Classical temples of the Eastern Mediterranean and Aegean Seas.
• Section 1: a series of essays, looking at the universal desire of all settlers: to celebrate and mythologize the landscape in which they have chosen to live, highlighting comparisons with British settlements.
• Section 2: a gazeteer of the many ancient sites in Europe that Julian Cope has personally visited, from Ireland to the Netherlands, from Crete to Denmark, discussing many areas outside the European arena, from Mount Ararat in Armenia to Mount Fuji in Japan, via the celebrated Mount Olympus of the Greek Myths to the legendary Tree of Yggdrasil of the Norse Myths.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
ON THE MODERN ANTIQUARIAN:
‘Insightful essays…Terrific and daft in equal measure.' MAIL ON SUNDAY
'Not only a joy, but a useful field guide.'
'A handsome traveller's text…A remarkable fusion of scholarship, practical advice and visionary insight.' THE EXPRESS
'A sumptuous technicolour delight. Erudite, playful and provocative.' MOJO
'A strange and marvellous artefact, remarkable for its seriousness as much as its frivolity.' WEEKEND REVIEW, THE INDEPENDENT
'Utterly unique…opens a real window on Britain's prehistory.' THE TIMES
'A ripping good read.' THE TIMES
'Immensely detailed and sumptuously illustrated…an essential guide' THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
MORE REVIEWS FOR MODERN ANTIQUARIAN
'An inspiring book, and practical too.' HERE'S HEALTH
'Striking a tone of impassioned authority, this book finds time to rail against the Judaeo-Christian mindset while painting the Neolithic landscape as an inspirational antidote to modern urban blues.' SELECT
'This beautifully designed tome…could inspire anyone to put on their wellies and go yomping across the moors to investigate for themselves. A great work by a great British eccentric.' MELODY MAKER
'An entertaining mixture of history and travelogue.' THE A LIST, THE MIRROR
'A unique blend of information, observation, personal experience and opinion which is as unlike the normal run of archaeology books as you could imagine.' THE INDEPENDENT
ON HEAD ON/REPOSSESSED:
Hilarious, observant and deeply subversive.' I-D
'Considered and self-deprecating…Mighty.' TIME OUT
'Repossessed…is one of the best books about the 80s ever written and without doubt the best book about toy cars, hermiting, integrity and drug paranoia.' THE GUARDIAN
'Cope's passion and intelligence are well served by a vein of self-deprecating wit.' THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
'Wondrous memoirs of fleeting stardom and LSD-induced psychosis.' Q MAGAZINE [The 50 Best Music Books Ever, 2001]
'Cope's rocking writing at its most infectious, moving and hilarious.' NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS
'Compulsive reading…This man is truly a genius.' LOADED
'A wryly rendered masterpiece.' Q MAGAZINEL'autore:
Julian Cope shot to fame with the band Teardrop Explodes during the Punk era. He has continued to make albums and produce other performers. He is hailed as a visionary by those people who recognise his genius and a madman by those who find him perlexing. He has written three books all of which have received ecstatic reviews. His most recent book , The Modern Antiquarian established itself as a classic travel guide to ancient Britain. It sent ripples through the world of archaeology and spawned a BBC documentary of the same name. It book remained in the bestseller lists for many weeks.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Thorsons Pub. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 0007138024 New Condition. Codice libro della libreria NEW6.0001818
Descrizione libro Thorsons Pub, 2004. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria P110007138024