With a searing body of work ranging from drawings and films to prints, tapestries, and sculptures, William Kentridge (b. 1955) has offered a fresh and distinctive glimpse of the daily lives of South Africans both during the apartheid regime and after its collapse. This extraordinary catalogue, produced in close collaboration with the artist, investigates the five primary themes that have engaged Kentridge over the course of his career:
- Soho and Felix: works featuring Kentridge’s best-known characters, the businessman Soho Eckstein and his alter ego, the anxiety-ridden Felix Teitlebaum.
- Ubu and the Procession: inspired by Ubu Roi, these projects reflect the excitement, conflict, and rapid social changes in post-apartheid South Africa.
- Artist in the Studio: an examination of Kentridge’s practice and his emergence as an installation artist.
- The Magic Flute: work related to the artist’s set designs for Mozart’s opera.
- The Nose: Kentridge’s most recent production, including work inspired by his staging of the Shostakovich opera for New York’s Metropolitan Opera in spring 2010.
Kentridge has created a DVD especially for this publication; it includes fragments from significant film projects (both known and newly completed) as well as commentary that sheds further light on the artist’s work.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Mark Rosenthal is adjunct curator of contemporary art at the Norton Museum of Art in West Palm Beach, Florida. Among his many publications are Joseph Beuys: Actions, Vitrines, Environments and The Surreal Calder, both published by Yale.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Yale University Press, 2009. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria SONG0300150482
Descrizione libro Yale University Press. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 0300150482 New Condition. Codice libro della libreria NEW6.0124189
Descrizione libro Yale University Press, 2009. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria P110300150482
Descrizione libro Condizione libro: Brand New. New. Codice libro della libreria A15164
Descrizione libro Yale University Press, 2009. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Har/DVD. Codice libro della libreria DADAX0300150482