This is a sharp analysis of the unique Nordic welfare system with urgent lessons for governments and societies across the globe.
Welfare programs and institutions tend to be analyzed as instrumental arrangements, overlooking the fact that welfare programs are essentially expressions of moral conceptions and values. This book recognises this distinction and offers analyses, perspectives and interpretations of the normative foundation of the 'Nordic welfare state model'.
These authors examine the main normative principles in this model, exploring their origins and the relationship between them. Paying particular attention to the principles of 'universalism', 'public responsibility for welfare', and 'work for all', they consider their significance for current welfare policy and question whether external economic and ideological pressures are threatening these principles. The book is divided into three clear parts:
*Part I considers the historical trajectories behind the Nordic welfare model
*Part II looks more specifically on normative tensions and dilemmas in current welfare policies with a focus on women friendly welfare, attitudes to basic income and alcohol and drug misuse
*Part III focuses on the possible change in the normative foundation of the Nordic welfare states
This book will be essential reading for researchers and students of the welfare state and also to those in the fields of social policy, comparative politics and political economy.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Nanna Kildal is a Researcher at Stein Rokkan Centre for Social Studies, University of Bergen. Her current research interests are normative studies of welfare policies and studies of policy transfer. She has written a number of articles on the 1990s welfare reforms in Europe and USA. Stein Kuhnle is Professor of Comparative Politics at the University of Bergen. Among his recent publications in English are (ed.) Survival of the European Welfare State (Routledge, 2000); The Nordic welfare state in a European context: dealing with new economic and ideological challenges in the 1990s, European Review, Vol. 8, No. 3, 379-398 (2000); and Democracy and Productive Welfare: European and Korean Welfare Policy Development in Perspective, and The Journal of the Korean Economy, Vol. 3, No. 1, 59-83 (Spring 2002).Contenuti:
Part One: Normative Foundations: Historical Perspectives
1. Nanna Kildal and Stein Kuhnle - The Principle of Universalism: Tracing a Key Idea in the Scandinavian Welfare Model
2. Bo Stråth - The Normative Foundations of the Scandinavian Welfare States in Historical Perspective
3. Lars Bo Kaspersen - The Origin, Development, Consolidation and Transformation of the Danish Welfare State
4. Anders Nordlund - Nordic Social Politics in the Late 20th Century - an Analysis of the Political Reform Agenda
Part Two: Normative Tensions
5. Birte Siim and Anette Borchorst - The Women-friendly Welfare State Revisited
6. Jan Otto Andersson and Olli Kangas - Universalism in the Age of Workfare: Attitudes to Basic Income in Sweden and Finland
7. Olavi Kaukonen and Kerstin Stenius - Comprehensiveness under Threat? From Administrative Coercion to Professional Subordination of Substance Misusers
8. Sven E. O. Hort - Three Normative Worlds in Three Welfare Projects during the 1990s - Decennium Horribilis?
Part Three: Towards a Paradigm Shift?
9. Rune Ervik - Changing Normative Bases of the Nordic Welfare States? The Case of Pension Provision in Norway
10. Marcus Carson - Paradigm Shift to System Shift in the Swedish Welfare State
11. Stéfan Olafsson - Welfare Regime Shift in Iceland?
12. Jørn Loftager - Which Democracy - Whose Welfare?
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2017. Paperback. Condizione libro: NEW. 9780415429764 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Print on Demand title, produced to the highest standard, and there would be a delay in dispatch of around 10 working days. Codice libro della libreria HTANDREE0261334
Descrizione libro Routledge. Condizione libro: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover - 256pp - This title is now printed on demand - please allow 2-3 weeks added time for shipment! A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Bookshop in business since 1992!. Codice libro della libreria 1977310
Descrizione libro Condizione libro: New. Depending on your location, this item may ship from the US or UK. Codice libro della libreria 97804154297640000000
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2006. Paperback. Condizione libro: Brand New. 1st edition. 262 pages. 9.25x6.00x0.75 inches. In Stock. Codice libro della libreria zk0415429765
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2006. Paperback. Condizione libro: New. book. Codice libro della libreria 0415429765