Economics of Agricultural Development examines the causes, severity, and effects of poverty, population growth, and malnutrition in developing countries. It discusses potential solutions to these problems, progress made in many countries in recent years, and the implications of globalization for agriculture, poverty, and the environment.
Topics covered in the book include:
• Means for utilizing agricultural surpluses to further overall economic development
• The sustainability of the natural resource environment
• Gender issues in relation to agriculture and resource use
• The contribution of agricultural technologies
• The importance of agricultural and macroeconomic policies as related to development and trade, and the successes and failures of such policies
• Actions to encourage more rapid agricultural and economic development
The globalization of trade in goods, services, and capital has been fundamental to changes being experienced in the agricultural and rural sectors of developing countries. It has major implications for the fight against poverty and food insecurity and for environmental sustainability. Recently, agriculture has returned to a position of center stage in the development dialog as food price volatility has increased along with water scarcity, and concerns grow over the effects of climate change on food supply and food security.
This new edition of the essential textbook in the field builds on the 2010 edition and reflects the following developments:
• Growth in foreign demand for land and other natural resources
• Significant progress in agricultural and economic development in some low-income countries while others are being left behind
• Continued growth in demand for higher-valued farm products
This book is essential reading for undergraduate students seeking to understand the economics of agricultural development and the world food system, including environmental and human consequences, international trade, and capital flows.
This book contains a wealth of real world case studies, and is accompanied by a website that includes powerpoint lectures, a photo bank, and a large set of discussion and exam questions at http://ecagdev.agecon.vt.edu/.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
George W. Norton is Professor of Agricultural and Applied Economics at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, USA.
Jeffrey Alwang is Professor of Agricultural and Applied Economics at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, USA.
William Masters is Professor of Food and Nutrition Policy at Tufts University, Medford, MA, USA.Contenuti:
1. Introduction 2. Poverty, Hunger and Nutitition 3. Economics of Food Demand 4. Population 5. Economic Transformation and Growth 6. Development Theories and Growth Strategies 7. Traditional Agriculture 8. Agricultural Systems and their Determinants 9. Climate Change 10. The Natural Resource Base 11. Human Resources, Family Structure and Gender 12. Theories and Strategies for Agricultural Development 13. Agricultural Research 14. Land and Labour Markets 15. Input and Credit markets 16. Pricing Policies and Marketing Systems 17. Trade Policies, Negotiations and Agreements 18. Macroeconomic Policies and International Development 19. Capital Flows and Foreign Assistance 20. Lessons and Perspectives
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2014. Hardback. Condizione libro: NEW. 9780415658225 478pp., Hardback, This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Codice libro della libreria HTANDREE0811696
Descrizione libro Taylor and Francis, 2014. HRD. Condizione libro: New. New Book. Shipped from US within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000. Codice libro della libreria VT-9780415658225
Descrizione libro Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria 21582062-n
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2014. Hardcover. Condizione libro: Brand New. 3rd revised edition. 480 pages. 9.25x6.25x1.50 inches. In Stock. Codice libro della libreria __0415658225
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2014. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. book. Codice libro della libreria 0415658225