First published in 1986.
The focus of this book is the dramatic strategies of scenic repetition and character separation. The author traces the way in which Shakesperare often presents recurring gestures, dramatic interactions, and complex scenic structures at widely separated intervals in a play - thereby providing an internal system of cross-reference for an audience. He also examines the way in which Shakespeare increases the dramatic voltage in central relationships by limiting the access key characters have to each other on stage. These strategies, it is argued, are indelible marks of Shakespeare's craftsmanship which survive all attempts to obliterate it in many modern productions.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
1. 'Look where it comes again': pattern and variation in Shakespeare's dramas
2. 'Thrice three times the value of this bond': the three trials in The Merchant of Venice
3. The journey from 'wherefore art thou Romeo?' to 'Where is my Romeo?': the structure of Romeo and Juliet
4. 'What's yet behind, that's meet you all should know': the structure of the final scene of Measure for Measure
5. 'But when they seldom come, they wished-for come': interaction and separation in Shakespeare's drama
6. How to shoot an arrow o'er the house to hurt your brother: methods of indirection and separation in Hamlet
7. 'And what's he then that says I play the villain': Iago, the strategist of separation
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2016. Paperback. Condizione libro: NEW. 9780415850599 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Print on Demand title, produced to the highest standard, and there would be a delay in dispatch of around 15 working days. Codice libro della libreria HTANDREE0231841
Descrizione libro Routledge. Condizione libro: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover - 176pp - This title is now printed on demand - please allow an added 2-3 weeks for shipment! A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Bookshop in business since 1992!. Codice libro della libreria 1994235
Descrizione libro Routledge, 2013. Paperback. Condizione libro: New. book. Codice libro della libreria 0415850592