This handbook considers the use and applications of horizontal axis wind turbines, detailing how wind power can be most efficiently harnessed for the production of electricity. The authors provide a broad view of the issues raised by this technology, addressing engineering, environmental, social, and economic interests. It analyses material fatigue and examines component design from blades and generators to gearboxes and brakes. It also assesses the wind resource in terms of wind characteristics, statistics, turbulence, and speed prediction techniques, and considers the aerodynamics, performance, and design of horizontal axis wind turbines. It examines the environmental impact of wind farms from noise and appearance to the effects on bird life and links wind turbines to the power system and investigates the need for stability when integrated into electricity grids.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
"...a very rounded introduction...good value for money for a book of this detail...an essential textbook..." ( Intl Jnl of Electrical Engineering Education, Vol 41(1))
"...a very rounded introduction...good value for money for a book of this detail...an essential textbook..." (Intl Jnl of Electrical Engineering Education, Vol 41(1))
As environmental concerns have focused attention on the generation of electricity from clean and renewable sources wind energy has become the world's fastest growing energy source. The Wind Energy Handbook draws on the authors' collective industrial and academic experience to highlight the interdisciplinary nature of wind energy research and provide a comprehensive treatment of wind energy for electricity generation.
* An authoritative overview of wind turbine technology and wind farm design and development
* In-depth examination of the aerodynamics and performance of land-based horizontal axis wind turbines
* A survey of alternative machine architectures and an introduction to the design of the key components
* Description of the wind resource in terms of wind speed frequency distribution and the structure of turbulence
* Coverage of site wind speed prediction techniques
* Discussions of wind farm siting constraints and the assessment of environmental impact
* The integration of wind farms into the electrical power system, including power quality and system stability
* Functions of wind turbine controllers and design and analysis techniques
With coverage ranging from practical concerns about component design to the economic importance of sustainable power sources, the Wind Energy Handbook will be an asset to engineers, turbine designers, wind energy consultants and graduate engineering students.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Wiley, 2001. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria P110471489972
Descrizione libro Wiley 2001-11-15, 2001. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 1. 0471489972. Codice libro della libreria 547068