Discover the art of strategic thinking
Revised and updated to reflect the cutting edge of academic thinking about business strategy, the Fourth Edition of Besanko, Dranove, Shanley, and Schaefer's highly acclaimed text offers a solid economic foundation for strategic analysis. By presenting basic concepts of economic theory with ideas in modern strategy literature, the book provides an economic lens for viewing the broad sweep of the strategic activities of the firm.
The book begins by focusing on the boundaries of the firm and examines competitive strategy from the perspective of industrial organization (IO) economics, particularly Porter's Five Forces. It then explores strategic positioning and dynamics as well as topics associated with internal organization, including personnel economics, organization structure, and strategic fit.
Features of the Fourth Edition
* Chapters on human resources management, entry, positioning, dynamics, technological change, and organizational structure are substantially revised.
* An updated chapter on business history covers the recent dot-com bubble.
* Presents economic principles without overemphasizing the math.
* Rigorous treatment of organizational topics such as structure and culture enables you to experience the full scope of strategic thinking.
* The authors use Porter's Five Forces as a tool for organizing industry analysis, building on the coverage of industrial organization and game theory. The text also considers the Value Net, another tool for organizing industry analysis.
* Includes coverage of make or buy decisions (Chapters 2-4) and benefit and cost advantage and sustaining advantage (Chapters 11-13).
* Fascinating examples, including many new to this edition, bring the economic models to life. Many of the examples involve businesses outside of the United States.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Designed to engage and challenge students, this comprehensive book applies modern economic principles to study a firm's strategic position. The first section focuses on a company's boundaries, economics, transactions costs, economies of scale and scope and diversification. The second part deals with industrial organization economics such as market structure and dynamic price competition and concludes with four detailed industry analyses. The third segment covers strategic positioning and dynamics. The final section offers topics associated with internal organization. Contains hundreds of examples to illustrate how the economic principles of strategy apply to the actual business world.About the Author:
Professor David Besanko is the Alvin J. Huss Distinguished Professor of Management and Strategy at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Besanko is a Kellogg graduate, having received his PhD in Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences in 1982. He received his AB in Political Science from Ohio University in 1977. Before joining the Kellogg faculty in 1991, Professor Besanko was a member of the faculty of the School of Business at Indiana University from 1982 to 1991. In addition, in 1985, he held a post-doctorate position on the Economics Staff at Bell Communications Research. Professor Besanko's research covers topics relating to industry dynamics, competitive strategy, industrial organization, the theory of the firm, and economics of regulation. He has received grants from the National Science Foundation and from the Citicorp Behavioral Science Research Council to support this research.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Wiley. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 0471679453 Ships promptly. Codice libro della libreria ETC4692.1ABGG071117H0546
Descrizione libro Hardcover. Condizione libro: BRAND NEW. NEW Book in Mint Condition -- Great DEAL !! Fast Shipping -- Friendly Customer Service -- Buy with Confidence!. Codice libro della libreria RP0471679453BN
Descrizione libro Wiley, 2006. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. book. Codice libro della libreria M0471679453
Descrizione libro Condizione libro: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Codice libro della libreria 97804716794551.0
Descrizione libro Wiley. Condizione libro: Brand New. Ships from USA. FREE domestic shipping. Codice libro della libreria 0471679453
Descrizione libro Wiley, 2006. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Never used!. Codice libro della libreria P110471679453
Descrizione libro Wiley, 2006. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 4. Codice libro della libreria DADAX0471679453