The tenth edition of this well-established text has been reviewed and extensively revised, and new diseases added, based on literature published worldwide since 2000. It is directed primarily at students of veterinary medicine and at practicing veterinarians and field workers. It has come to be extensively used as a reference by veterinarians in large and mixed animal practice around the world: it has attained international relevance, recognition and acceptance with several translations.
The book is divided into a General Medicine section (15 chapters) which describes clinical examination and the manifestation of disease in organ systems and a Special Medicine section (21 chapters) which describes the specific diseases of the large animal species, their causes, epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical and pathological manifestations, treatment, control and prevention, and zoonotic risk.
In the General Medicine chapters Dr Peter Constable, an authority in agricultural internal medicine, is a new major author and has reviewed and revised major parts of discussions on systemic disorders and the chapters on diseases of the cardiovascular system, the urinary system, the nervous system, and the chapter on mastitis. Other Chapters in the General Medicine chapters have been revised and the sections on gastrointestinal disease of horses and the chapters on respiratory system and hemopoietic and lymphatic systemes have been totally re-written by Dr Hinchcliff.
The specific diseases of large animal species have been updated sine the last edition by all authors but of particular note in this Special Medicine section is the contributions of three new contributing authors. Dr Stan Done, an internationally recognized authority on diseases of pigs, has taken responsibility for the diseases of this species throughout the text, and adds a European input to the text.
Dr Gary Osweiler, a well recognised clinical diagnostic toxicologist, has taken the responsibility for the revision of the topics on toxicological diseases and Dr Douglas Colwell, the diseases associated with arthropod parasites. In keeping with current diseases and their importance there is a new chapter on diseases associated with prions. This section has been completely revised and descriptions of many of the diseases of current importance completely re-written. There is a new chapter on diseases associated with prions.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
"Undoubtedly, this massive tome will become the reference manual for all forthcoming veterinary students and large animal practices, as its forerunner 'Blood and Henderson', did for me 40 years ago.
It covers all major farmed species and is divided into two parts. Part 1 deals with General Medicine and the individual body's systems and Part 2 on Special Medicine covers infectious, metabolic, toxic and inheritable diseases. However, of particular interest are the sections on the pig, which have been written by our own Pig Journal chief scientific editor Prof. Stanley Done. There are exceptional reviews of the Porcine Reproductive Respiratory Syndrome (257 references), Post-weaning Multisystemic Wasting Syndrome (229 refs), Pleuropneumonia (167 refs) and Enzootic Pneumonia (a modest 136 refs). Respiratory diseases have been his lifelong work and the results are reflected in these outstanding sections. Enteric diseases have not been overlooked, with Ileitis (102 refs) Swine Dysentery (86 refs) and even Colitis (58 refs).
Other pig diseases and infections are broadly covered in the book and there is a useful Appendix (2) on reference laboratory values and uniquely, Appendix (4) on drug doses for pigs. The book is well indexed for finding out the relevant part or disease for the species in which you are interested.
It was particularly sad that the chief editor Otto Radostits died just before the publication of this book but it will be a lasting tribute to his amazing effort to bring all this information into just one book and is of excellent value." - Reviewed by David Burch for The Pig Journal Vol 59.
"The book is clearly laid out and, where possible, uses a standard format, well illustrated with figures and text boxes. Importantly for this sort of text, all the sections are well referenced, allowing the reader to easily identify key papers in situations where further reading is required. It is without a doubt the sort of book that all large animal clinicians should have access to for reference, and its cost is very reasonable considering the quanitity of the material provided." - Jonathan N Huxley, The Veterinary Record, August 2007
PART ONE: GENERAL MEDICINE
1. Clinical examination and making a diagnosis
2. General systemic states
3. Diseases of the newborn
4. Practical antimicrobial therapeutics
5. Diseases of the alimentary tract - I
6. Diseases of the alimentary tract - II
7. Diseases of the liver and pancreas
8. Diseases of the cardiovascular system
9. Diseases of the hemolymphatic system
10. Diseases of the respiratory system
11. Diseases of the urinary system
12. Diseases of the nervous system
13. Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
14. Diseases of the skin, conjunctivae and external ear
15. Diseases of the mammary gland
PART TWO: SPECIAL MEDICINE
16. Diseases associated with bacteria I
17. Diseases associated with bacteria II
18. Diseases associated with bacteria IV
19. Diseases associated with bacteria V
20. Disease associated with viruses and chlamydia
21. Diseases associated with viruses and chlamydia II
22. Diseases associated with prions
23. Diseases associated with rickettsiales
24. Diseases associated with algae and fungi
25. Diseases associated with protozoa
26. Diseases associated with helminth parasites
27. Diseases associated with arthropod parasites
28. Metabolic diseases
29. Diseases associated with nutritional deficiencies
30. Diseases associated with physical agents
31. Diseases associated with inorganic and farm chemicals
32. Diseases associated with toxins in plants, fungi, cyanobacteria, clavibacteria, insects and animals
33. Diseases associated with allergy
34. Diseases associated with the inheritance of undesirable characters
35. Specific diseases of uncertain etiology
Reference Laboratory Values
Drug doses and intervals for horses and ruminants
Drug doses and intervals for swine
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro SAUNDERS / AN IMPRINT OF ELSEVIER, 2009. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. International Edition. International Edition. Codice libro della libreria 274807
Descrizione libro Saunders Ltd., 2007. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria SONG0702027774
Descrizione libro Saunders Ltd., 2007. Hardcover. Condizione libro: New. 10. Codice libro della libreria DADAX0702027774