Tibet's turbulent history, religious fervor and wild mountain scenery are just some of the things that draw travelers. This updated guide helps take some of the uncertainty out of making a visit. Included is practical information on visas, health at high altitudes and finding accommodation in remote areas as well as details on trekking, politics, culture, and language. Maps.
From Antarctica to Zimbabwe, if you're going there, chances are Lonely Planet has been there first. With a pithy and matter-of-fact writing style, these guides are guaranteed to calm the nerves of first-time world travelers, while still listing off-the-beaten-path finds sure to thrill even the most jaded globetrotters. Lonely Planet has been perfecting its guidebooks for nearly 30 years and as a result, has the experience and know-how similar to an older sibling's "been there" advice. The original backpacker's bible, the LP series has recently widened its reach. While still giving insights for the low-budget traveler, the books now list a wide range of accommodations and itineraries for those with less time than money.
This completely revised and updated Lonely Planet guide to Tibet features new maps, detailed trekking information, overland routes from China and Nepal, Tibetan and Mandarin language sections, as well as essential notes on history, culture, and Buddhism. The author imparts expert advice on where to stay and eat, and presents engaging sidebars on topics such as "The World of a Monk," "Everest's Name," "King Gesar," "Important Figures of Tibetan Buddhism," "The Mandala," "Sutra & Tantra," and Tibetan travelers' first-hand experiences. --Kathryn TrueFrom the Publisher:
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travellers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
* We offer travellers the world's richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
* We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
* When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
* We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
* We challenge our growing community of travellers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
* We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travellers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
Descrizione libro Lonely Planet, 1995. Paperback. Condizione libro: New. book. Codice libro della libreria 086442289X
Descrizione libro Lonely Planet, 1995. Paperback. Condizione libro: New. Codice libro della libreria P11086442289X
Descrizione libro Lonely Planet. PAPERBACK. Condizione libro: New. 086442289X New Condition. Codice libro della libreria NEW6.3466997