For advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students in atmospheric, oceanic, and climate science, Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Dynamics is an introductory textbook on the circulations of the atmosphere and ocean and their interaction, with an emphasis on global scales. It will give students a good grasp of what the atmosphere and oceans look like on the large-scale and why they look that way. The role of the oceans in climate and paleoclimate is also discussed. The combination of observations, theory and accompanying illustrative laboratory experiments sets this text apart by making it accessible to students with no prior training in meteorology or oceanography.
* Written at a mathematical level that is appealing for undergraduates and
beginning graduate students
* Provides a useful educational tool through a combination of observations and
laboratory demonstrations which can be viewed over the web
* Contains instructions on how to reproduce the simple but informative
* Includes copious problems (with sample answers) to help students learn the
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
"Marshall and Plumb have nicely presented the basics of both meteorology and oceanography in this work. The book begins with a discusssion of atmospheric characteristics; the final chapter on climate and climatic variability nicely leads into the subject of global warming, and should be read by anyone with an interest in the future of the planet. . . . Highly recommended." -- A.E. Staver, Northern Illinois University, in CHOICE, June 2008Contenuti:
1. Characteristics of the atmosphere. 2. The global energy balance. 3. The vertical structure of the atmosphere. 4. Convection. 5. The Meridional structure of the atmosphere. 6. The equations of fluid motion. 7. Balanced flow. 8. The general circulation of the atmosphere. 9. The ocena and its circulation. 10. The wind-driven circulation. 11. The thermohaline circulation of the ocean. 12. Climate and climate variability. 13. Appendices.
Le informazioni nella sezione "Su questo libro" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
Descrizione libro Academic Press, 1961. Paperback. Condizione libro: Good. Codice libro della libreria mon0001051911
Descrizione libro American Geophysical Union, 1995. Paperback. Condizione libro: Very Good. Book has very light shelfwear to covers, otherwise as new; clean, tight and unmarked. Codice libro della libreria 924638
Descrizione libro Academic Press, 1961. Paperback. Condizione libro: Good. Good condition, some are ex-library and can have markings. Codice libro della libreria GD-168-87-3324803
Descrizione libro Academic Press, 1961. Paperback. Condizione libro: Very Good. Very good. Codice libro della libreria HH-168-87-3324803