Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Pages: 29. Chapters: 11th Street Bridges, 14th Street Bridge (Potomac River), Aqueduct Bridge (Potomac River), Arlington Memorial Bridge, Benning Bridge, Boulder Bridge and Ross Drive Bridge, Chain Bridge (Potomac River), Charles C. Glover Memorial Bridge, Connecticut Avenue Bridge over Klingle Valley, Duke Ellington Bridge, Dumbarton Bridge (Washington, D.C.), Francis Scott Key Bridge (Washington, D.C.), Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge, John Philip Sousa Bridge, M Street Bridge, New York Avenue Bridge, Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge, P Street Bridge, Taft Bridge, Theodore Roosevelt Bridge, Whitney Young Memorial Bridge, Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Excerpt: The 11th Street Bridges are a complex of three bridges across the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C., United States. The bridges convey Interstate 695 across the Anacostia to its southern terminus at Interstate 295 and DC 295. The bridges also connect the neighborhood of Anacostia with the rest of the city of Washington. The first bridge at the stie, constructed about 1800, played a role in the War of 1812. It burned in 1846, but was repaired. A second bridge was constructed in 1873, and replaced in 1907. A modern, four-lane bridge replaced the older bridge in 1965, and a second four-lane bridge added in 1970. In 2009, construction began on three spans (two carrying freeway traffic, one carrying local-only traffic) to replace the 1965 and 1970 bridges. The northbound bridge opened to traffic in December 2011 while the southbound bridge open to traffic in January 2012. The new bridges include new ramps and new interchanges with I-295 (the Anacostia Freeway). The local bridge opened to traffic in May 2012. Portions of all three bridges and their approaches remain under construction as of April 2013. The first bridge across the Anacostia River in this area was the Eastern Branch Bridge, a privately owned toll and drawbridge built between 1795 and 1800 about a quarter of a mile (0.4 kilometres) upstream from 11th Street SE (at the site of the current John Philip Sousa Bridge). The Eastern Branch Bridge was blown up and partially burned by retreating American soldiers in August 1814 during the War of 1812. It was rebuilt, but burned completely in August 1846. In 1820, the privately owned "Upper Navy Yard Bridge" was built over the Anacostia River at 11th Street SE. Also a toll bridge, this second bridge became a "free" bridge in 1848 after it was purchased by the federal government. From the city's founding until 1854, the area known today as Anacostia was primarily sparsely populated farmland. But Anacostia was platted in 1854, and development slowly began to turn the
Le informazioni nella sezione "Riassunto" possono far riferimento a edizioni diverse di questo titolo.
(nessuna copia disponibile)
Se non trovi il libro che cerchi su AbeBooks possiamo cercarlo per te automaticamente ad ogni aggiornamento del nostro sito. Se il libro è ancora reperibile da qualche parte, lo troveremo!Inserisci un desiderata