The Liverpool Guide Including a Sketch of the Environs with a Map of the Town and Directions for Sea Bathing


Editore: Printed By J M'Creery for W Jones, 1799
Usato / Hardcover / Quantità: 0
Copie del libro da altre librerie
Mostra tutte le  copie di questo libro


Purtroppo questa copia non è più disponibile. Di seguito una lista di risultati simili per The Liverpool Guide Including a Sketch of the Environs with a Map of the Town and Directions for Sea Bathing e MOSS W.


Third edition enlarged 1799, [2] + 168pp, folding map of Liverpool perfect condition at fron of book, , vignette on title page, new endpapers, smartly bound in recent dark brown cloth, gilt lining and lettering to spine; Octavo. Codice inventario libreria

Dati bibliografici

Titolo: The Liverpool Guide Including a Sketch of ...
Casa editrice: Printed By J M'Creery for W Jones
Data di pubblicazione: 1799
Legatura: Hardcover
Condizione libro: Very Good

I migliori risultati di ricerca su AbeBooks


Moss, W.
Antico o usato Rilegato Quantità: 1
Valutazione libreria

Descrizione libro Liverpool, 4th ed., enlarged, 1801, printed by J. McCreery, for W. Jones, Bookseller, Castle-street ; & sold by Vernor & Hood, London. 192 pp., map frontis (fldg.) ; engrvd. vignette to title-page & 2 engraved head-piece. Original boards, re-backed in brown silk-grain cloth ; gilt ; edges uncut. Bookplate. 20 x 13cm. Vignette to title-page in facsimile ; light foxing ; o/w V.G. William Moss produced the very first guidebook to Liverpool in 1796, with a second edition in 1797, a third in 1799, and this final edition in 1801. In addition to describing the town of Liverpool, its churches and public buildings, its environs, etc., it provides a tour of its docks prior to the great expansion that was to follow during the 19th century. In 1801, when Liverpool ships and merchants were contending with French privateers and men-o’-war during the French Revolutionary War that had broken out eight years earlier, Liverpool was still using its first dock, known as the Old Dock, the first commercial dock in the world, its construction having begun in 1709. In addition to this "inland" dock, there was Georges Dock and dry basin ; the dry basin and three graving docks in front of the Old Dock which would later come to be known as Canning Dock ; Salthouse Dock, formerly known as South Dock and Liverpool’s second dock ; and Kings Dock and Queens Dock with their adjoining dry basin and a further two graving docks. In addition there is Dukes Dock, privately owned by the Duke of Bridgewater who brought his goods down his canal from Worsley, near Manchester. Around these docks were timber yards and a tobacco warehouse. There was nothing south of Queens Dock, and nothing north of Georges Basin except one of the old forts defending the town from attack by sea. These docks, together with the extent of Liverpool Town in 1801, are shown in the excellent folding map that forms the frontispiece. Bathing in sea water had become very popular during this period, and cold water bathing was thought to be beneficial to health. The author provides directions for sea-bathing in the Mersey. Uncut copy in original boards. SCARCE. Codice articolo C146B163

Informazioni sul venditore | Contattare il venditore

Compra usato
EUR 192,92
Convertire valuta

Aggiungere al carrello

Spese di spedizione: EUR 11,35
Da: Regno Unito a: U.S.A.
Destinazione, tempi e costi